Sunday, March 29, 2020

The desolation of Las Vegas

As you know, if you have been seeing my tweets for the last two weeks, I have been on the move in my corvette exploring the great city of Las Vegas. On a normal night before this happened to all of us, like you, I too had a social life and loved getting dressed up and going to my favorite spots around the city. But, now we are all told to stay home or do this social distance thingy. Well, I decided since the Las Vegas Strip is always congested with traffic I, would take this time to finally see the Vegas I have missed. Even though, I live very close to the 24 hour action of the Strip, I rarely get the opportunity to drive it. Now, back in the olden days, we could drive down the Strip no problem. Just lately in the last 10 years its gotten very congested with cars and tourists.

The first time out I just drove up to the corner of Harmon and Las Vegas Blvd where the City Center is located. It was daylight and just seemed very quiet. I saw the presence of police, barriers at all the hotel entrances and road work starting to begin. It was just odd not seeing any cars or people, and this was the second day of the shut down.

The next night, I wanted to take a walk on the Strip to get the "real" feeling of the shutdown. I started out about 7 pm and took a power walk from Paradise Road to corner of Flamingo and Las Vegas Blvd. There were a few scattered people about, mostly with cameras and everyone said hello or have a nice night. I assume they were locals being curious like myself. When I got close to the Cromwell and Bally's, I was in total shock. I am one of those old school folks who still loves Bally's. Seeing it so dark and empty was very sad. I have had many great moments at this property. It will always hold a special place in my heart.

I kept walking and took a look down the Strip. Saw a few cars and lots of police. Seemed that most of the properties had about 50% of their lights on, the only thing that was completely dark were the hotel rooms. Usually when you look up at a hotel, you will see flickering lights everywhere coming from the many guest rooms, not tonight. I wanted to see as much as I could as it was quite chilly out, so I found the stairs for the walkway over the Strip to Caesars Palace. The escalators were closed and the only option were the stairs. Very steep stairs I might add! 5 years ago I wouldn't have been able to climb the stairs as I was recovering from two total hip replacement surgeries. So, I'm super grateful for the strength I have. I can now conquer stairs.

At the top of the stairs I saw one girl who also said she was checking out the Strip and getting some much needed exercise. Other than that I saw no one.

I have had many nights exploring and I'm happy to say I am grateful for the time, but I am saddened by the loss of jobs and tourism. I welcome everyone to come back and enjoy our city at its finest once this shut down is over. We will over-come and be stronger as humans and a society.  I truly believe that. Faith, Love and Courage. My three favorite words I live by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

6/6/23

Looks like I will have to make a trip to the strip soon. I pretty much grew up at the Tropicana Hotel. It was my first big show on the strip...