Friday, April 3, 2020

The Audition Part 5 Folies Bergere

After the longest 15 minutes we were all called to front of the stage. We were told to line up all in one row and strike the "bevel stance." As confusing as this sounded to me, I eyeballed a few of the dancers and copied what they did. I will try and give a clear description of what was meant by the iconic "bevel stance." In the standing position(of course facing forward), the front knee is bent and pulled inwards to the center of the body and the forward toe is pointed and faces forward. Sounds confusing and was confusing at first, but it was something that all Vegas dancers had to learn and perfect in order to be in any of the large scale productions on the strip. This position illuminated the female form with a striking silhouette.

So, we all stood there in the "bevel stance" heads held high, hands resting lightly on the hips and the biggest prettiest smile one could muster. If the smile was fake they would know right away. How could I not be the happiest girl onstage! My smile was proud and loud.

Laura stood up from the house theater and took the microphone once again. " Ladies we have chosen the final 5, please step forward when your name is called."

I can still feel those wild butterflies in my stomach. My name was called last, I was now walking towards the other 4 dancers that had been chosen. I could hear the whispers behind me, " How in the hell was she chosen? Shes too young. But why her?" Laura spoke to the rest of the ladies and said thank you for your time and we will keep you posted if there are any upcoming auditions. And, that was it.

As the disgruntled dancers left the stage, Laura walked up to the side of the stage and asked me to come down into the theater as Mr Lee wanted a word with me. She told the other 4 to hang tight and she would be right back. Now, the nerves shot through my body like a lightening bolt! This would be either good or bad news, or maybe neither?

No comments:

Post a Comment

6/6/23

Looks like I will have to make a trip to the strip soon. I pretty much grew up at the Tropicana Hotel. It was my first big show on the strip...